This blog is old. You don't want to read an old blog, do you?

If you are not redirected to the fancy new blog in about 6 seconds visit
http://backpackingdad.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Routine

There aren’t too many dramatic things going on in my life right now. It’s all routine. I wake up, take Erin to school, come home, take Adrian somewhere so Emily can sleep, spend the afternoon at home or on my bike, pick Erin up from school, come home, make dinner, put Erin to bed, wait out Adrian’s four hour spazfest, bail, go to sleep and hope Emily doesn’t wake me up before 6am. She almost never does. I don’t know what that’s about.

I’ve managed to go to the movies with Adrian, once with Emily to see Land of the Lost, and once without Emily to see Dance Flick. Adrian did pretty well at the movies, but I’m no novice at this. For those who care: Dance Flick was a lot funnier than Land of the Lost. Not that it was all that funny, but Land of the Lost was as boring as The Barefoot Contessa. I don’t know what that’s about.

One thing that never seems to be part of my routine, but always arises as some kind of surprise, last-minute chore, is doing the dishes. Although I wash them every day it always seems like there’s a pile in the sink and I’m always playing catch up. I don’t know what that’s about.

Adrian has some reflux, and we just started him on medication tonight. His nightly spazfests are at least in part due to his reflux. But Erin was also a spaz during the early evening hours, so I don’t know how much of his annoyance has to do with it. He is not having any trouble gaining weight though: he has put on almost three pounds in three and a half weeks. I don’t know what that’s about.

I’ve been re-watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I watched the entire series for the first time in the months leading up to Erin’s birth. I started again in the weeks leading up to Adrian’s. I don’t know what that’s about.

I’m not directing my days at anything except being, although I should be working on a dissertation. I have books to read, and things to write, and I know I’ll be dragging my feet about it. I don’t know what that’s about.

I’ve been watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs with almost religious devotion, although I should say that in all honesty I’ve devoted more time, thought, effort, argument, and attention to hockey than I ever have to any of the various forms of Christianity friends and family have offered up to me. I don’t know what that’s about.

Despite my apparent indolence I’ve still managed to fall days, and maybe even weeks behind on e-mail correspondence. If I owe you an e-mail I’ll get to it. Eventually. Maybe after a bike ride. I was riding my bike with underinflated tires for a long time, and it was slowing me down but I just couldn’t be bothered to inflate them to pressure until yesterday. I don’t know what that’s about.

So. How’s your day?

12 comments:

Loralee Choate said...

Dude, our kids are what, 4 days apart and you get WAY MORE done than I do, Coz.

I feel all awesome and amazing if I can get both of us bathed before the day is out.

Of course, it's been a hell of a long time since I've had to do "baby". I will admit that having a 13 and 10 yr old to help out is the bomb, though.

Amy Urquhart said...

My day started early this morning when I got up with my husband at 6:45 and made us both chocolate chip pancakes. What's that about?!

seadragon said...

After my son was born, I was spent a lot of time in a chair breastfeeding (also recovering from a c-cection) and I watched both Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel in their entirety. I've already been wondering what I'll watch the next time around, but maybe I'll be like you and just watch the same shows!

Rockhopper Dad said...

You should catch up on Dollhouse as well. ;)

Casee said...

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is pure genius. I just started S4 and it's even better the second time around.

Sounds like you have the baby thing down pat. I like the system you have w/ your wife.

Don Mills Diva said...

I got up and slept in the guest room at 5 a.m. because my husband wouldn't stop tossing and turning and now I'm exhausted.

What's that about?

for a different kind of girl said...

It's 11 a.m., and I'm still in my pajamas, warding the kids away from the kitchen and their random cries of "We're hungry!" because they don't yet know we're out of peanut butter and peanut butter is what runs through their veins and my mind is racing at the chaos that will erupt when I utter the words "Turkey or ham?", and I wrote a post about farts because farts and kids vomiting is blog gold and if only someone had thrown up around me last night, then I'd have blown up the internet, but other than that, I guess I need to get dressed. Apparently there's a world out there and they look at you weird if you are out in while dressed in pajamas at noon. Especially at the grocery store, where I'm going to have to go to buy more peanut butter next.

Anonymous said...

My son had spazfests every evening for a while until we figured out that he really did want to EAT for basically two hours straight. I finally started puting him on the breast when he'd cry thinking, there's nothing left, and he can't be hungry but then it would work. Once my milk supply adjusted he would eat eat eat for the good part of the evening then would SLEEP through the night for 11 hours!!! This was at 5 weeks old! I couldn't believe it; but then my neighbor noticed similar happening with her twins at about 3 weeks and followed what I took 3 weeks to figure out, and she had them sleeping through the night after cluster feeding in the evening too.

Jenny Grace said...

What was that italicized are you reading this on a website part?

Am confused.

Kyddryn said...

Does it really matter what it's about? What's wrong with being in the moment, rather that defining it?

My day is alternately sucking, blowing, and awesome...par for the course.

Shade and Sweetwater,
K

Swirl Girl said...

My oldest had spaz fests (tee hee) and was a projectile (and I mean like paint the walls projectile) vomitting all the time. We rolled up a beach towel and put it under the mattress so she was sleeping on a 45 degree angle. Worked like a charm (after she had the surgery for pyloric stenosis).

Melanie said...

I really hope the reflux meds help you a lot, it took nearly 2 weeks for us to notice a difference (the doc said it takes that long for their little esphogus' to heal) but the evening cry fests ENDED. She had "silent" reflux and I HATED that my daughter had to suffer for 3 weeks because in my gut I knew something was wrong, but since the reflux wasnt actually coming up (she was choking it back down) I didnt know what it was, until a very scary bout sent us to the ER and they knew right away the signs (the arched back, screaming, choking down stomach acid)..... the meds made such a difference (with the pain not the frequency) We purchased a wedge that goes under the crib mattress from babies r us that helped us a lot. Anyway I never really understood what parents of reflux babies had to deal with until I had my own....... hugs to you guys!