This blog is old. You don't want to read an old blog, do you?

If you are not redirected to the fancy new blog in about 6 seconds visit
http://backpackingdad.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Want to have a baby girl? Just put down the Snickers and Honey Bunches of Oats...

A new study out of Exeter and Oxford finds that pregnant women who consumed higher calorie foods, and breakfast cereals, around the time of conception had a higher chance of conceiving a boy than a girl.

Says one doctor from the University of Sheffield: "I would urge women to not to start starving themselves in order to try influence the sex of their baby"

Seriously, dude.

Says one commenter on the BBC Website: "I will definitely use this research to try and influence my child to be a boy!"

Says one Backpacking Dad: "I will definitely ignore the conclusions reached by the doctors involved in this study. Because I'm sure as hell not going to start a little Snickers eugenics program the next time my wife and I are trying to get pregnant."

Besides. She likes chocolate chip cookies. Not Snickers.

8 comments:

Ali said...

call me old-fashioned, but i'm a big believer in the ole "you get what you get" method ;)

Patti said...

I have to agree with Ali. I think in the grand scheme of things that the baby having all ten fingers/toes and is healthy is way more important than the baby's gender.

I had girls with my first two pregnancies and was blessed with a boy/girl twin combo on my third pregnancy which was a huge surprise (the twins were a huge shock, one i'm still not over).

If they had been both girls, we would have still stopped there.

Besides...there is no way I'd be putting down the Snickers...

Jennifer said...

Sweet. We're hoping to have a boy next (so we can avoid the 'should we have a third?' debate- if we have one of each, I think it will take the pressure off!) so I'm cool with eating Snickers and cookies and cereal. Any excuse is good for me :) lol

for a different kind of girl said...

I ate carrot sticks and yogurt, stood on my head, and offered a sacrifice to fertility gods and I still got boys.

Assuming there's ever a next time, I'll drink chocolate syrup and eat cinnamon rolls during the act itself.

Or not. I'm ok with boys. And carrot sticks.

Aunt Becky said...

You know what cracks me up the most about this study?

The ova (from the female) has an X chromosome. Always.

The sperm can be an X or a Y, and last I checked, that variant was what determined the sex of the baby.

But you know, I'm not a doctor. Or a researcher. But maybe I could be....

Loralee Choate said...

I have had three boys.

I am becoming convinced that nothing female can ever come from my husband.

(And yes. He's just fine with that. Damn him and his manly sperm.

Mandy said...

my husband wants a third, so he can have a girl. we heard this study on the news yesterday too. i told him if he could promise me the third was a girl...

kittenpie said...

You know, any of those theories and studies are just maybes, and any attempts to influence gender are long shots at best. Heck, there's a lab in the UK where they will take semen, centrifuge it and so on to try to seperate out XX and XY sperm, and even then, they only get about a 77% success rate! There are just no guarantees, or I might just be buying.