This blog is old. You don't want to read an old blog, do you?

If you are not redirected to the fancy new blog in about 6 seconds visit
http://backpackingdad.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, May 1, 2009

Nesting

I don’t really understand the link between hormones, brains, and behaviour.

I don’t understand what it is about the change in brain chemistry during pregnancy that makes a woman like my wife suddenly need to make CD jewel case covers at two in the morning. I mean that although I understand that the chemical change is supposed to be responsible for this sudden craftiness I don’t understand the mechanism at all. How does the brain figure out that what it needs in order to satisfy it’s new chemical overlords (Hail Chemicals!) is to decorate things.

I also don’t understand the connection between pregnancy and sudden midnight acts of baking (with Rice Crispies, a delicious cereal product made by Kellogg, as someone pointed out on my last post and really what that means is that I owe Safeway a dollar because they mistakenly gave me a dollar off the Rice Crispies with my General Mills Buy 3 Get $1 Off each coupon.) I also don’t understand the connection between chemistry and inspiration. She baked Rice Crispy Treats with regular marshmallows (Air-puffed) and the Yellow Moons, Purple Goats, Green Broccoli, and Blue Shamrocks from Lucky Charms (a General Mills cereal that I’ve enjoyed since I was a wee lad. Best when accompanied by a cup of Lucerne Vitamin D milk and eaten out of bowls purchased from IKEA.)

DSC01705

But I especially don’t understand the connection between chemistry and cleaning (with Seventh Generation cleaning products purchased at Target).

In particular, I don’t understand the connection between her hormone levels fluctuating and my sudden need to clean the kitchen.

(Editor's Note: Yes, I cannot spell "Rice Krispies." This is yet another reason that I will never actually get paid to do product placement posts.)

18 comments:

Undomestic Diva said...

I don't understand the connection either as I can't even manage to make a batch of Rice Krispie treats without starting a small kitchen fire. But hey, reap the rewards while it lasts.

DGB said...

When WonderWife™ was nesting, she used brooms by Swiffer™.

Maria Melee said...

All I did was bake my entire third trimester. Bake bake bake. The cleaning was definitely secondary to the baking.

I miss baking now. Apparently when you're not pregnant you can't eat 5,000 muffins a day.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I had food aversions for both my pregnancies so I have no experience with needing to make food or craving it. I have lots of experience at trying not be nauseated by the sight or smell of food, including brownies by Betty Crocker, which is just WRONG. No one should be made nauseous by the smell of Betty Crocker cheesecake brownies

About the only thing I could eat were Cheerios. Honey Nut Cheerios, which are also a General Mills product

Della said...

Kellogg's might be more impressed if you spell checked "Krispies" ;)

Meg McCormick said...

Yeah, so, I've been down that road three times and never once had the urge to forego sleep for making colorful Rice Krispie treats. But DUDE, those look AWESOME!

I can offer only this: Any snow day or sudden weekday off? I get a very strong urge to bake bread.

WTF??

Loralee Choate said...

OMG. I now want to switch from 3 am crepe making to Rice Krispie treats.

(And if it is any consolation, I don't understand my hormone driven compulsions, either. Ug.)

Swirl Girl said...

You, Backpacking Dad, are suffering from sympathy pains (or stains if you let those colored marshmellow things from Lucky Charms stick to the counter too long)

Unknown said...

I lllllloooovvveee Rice Krispies so much you can spell them however you want.

Mom101 said...

I was just pitched a $39 tray of Rice Krispy bars. And now this.

I think God is trying to tell me to eat Rice Krispy bars or something. So anyway - feel free to send some my way. Not the $39 kind though.

Meg said...

So what you're saying is you don't understand women?

I don't think I did anything during either of my pregnancies except sit on my ass watching daytime tv and eating popcorn & hot dogs.

Monica said...

I had to make all kinds of food when I was pregnant. I have no idea why but I just wanted to cook all the time but I could not stand to eat it when I was done. I loved the smell but could not get my stomach to agree to acept it. Needless to say my husband gained more weight than I did!

Anonymous said...

Be glad that she's doing the baking and not making you! LOL I had cravings, but couldn't bear the smells in a kitchen on account of the 'orrible, nasty morning sickness I had the whole time with all three of mine. Just saying!

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

What a wonderful idea, putting the little marshmallow shapes from Lucky Charms INTO the Rice Krispies!! I am so doing this!

And just so you know, I've been pregnant 4 times, and not once did I have the urge to clean the kitchen.

Anonymous said...

Great-now I want Rice Krispies Treats. Crap.

Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels said...

You know, I don't get it. All I know is that I seem to be the only woman for whom "nesting" didn't include cleaning the house top to bottom. On either one of my two pregnancies. Amazing that my dislike for household actually trumps something as powerful as hormones and evolution and stuff. Also a little pathetic.

Erin said...

I had the overwhelming urge to rearrange furniture (dangerous), which probably saved me a good 10 pounds of pregnancy weight in the end. Now, though, I'd definitely go for those RK treats. Lucky Charms marshmallows in them? Genius!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting about your wife's nesting habits. I thought I was going insane because I have midnight baking urges! Even though, mine tend to be all sorts of cookies!