This blog is old. You don't want to read an old blog, do you?

If you are not redirected to the fancy new blog in about 6 seconds visit
http://backpackingdad.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, November 10, 2008

Circumlocuting Thanks

This is the most awkwardly expressed post I can remember writing. I know that because I've trashed four versions of it. It's important that I say what I'm saying, but I just don't know how to do it properly, so I end up writing incoherent, babbling, sentences that are barely related to each other. Ever happen to you? Also, it's all wrapped up in this "I just want girls to like me" meme that has been reproducing itself and directing my actions since high school, and it's hard to look that right in the face, but I have to if I'm going to understand all of the reasons this needs to be written.

Anyway.

I don't think I voted in the state election immediately prior to this last one. It was utter laziness. When we moved to the Bay Area I never updated my voter registration. It took someone literally shoving a clipboard into my hands at WonderCon this year for me to finally register. And even then I might not have done it if the line I was standing in hadn't been so long.

Before this year I was a fairly apathetic voter. I've had periods of high interest and low interest, but mostly I just didn't care. I could talk about politics as much as any other suburbanite driving an hour to get to work in the morning and listening to talk radio could do. But I didn't really care. Not enough to update my voter registration when I changed my address.

Maybe it took having a daughter who was growing up in a world affected by public policy for me to really start caring. Enough to fill out a piece of paper while standing in line to do other things, at least.

But I can't credit Erin with all of the interest I've had in this most recent, most historic election. And I don't think it has much to do with me.

It's them; not the big red ants; but the big red (and blue) bloghers, who have generated and maintained my interest in politics and who have inspired me to participate and think about what is going on around me instead of remaining at a cynical distance. Their earnestness and effort shamed me into activity. And the bullshit they have to put up with for not only writing about politics, but presuming to do so in an environment that mantles itself in misogyny when arguments fail, spurred me to be better than the anachronistic reactionaries permeating the political ether.

It isn't that there aren't male bloggers out there who could have inspired this same kind of attention in me; but for whatever the reason (*cough* I want girls to like me *cough*) I just don't read them. And if I did I can't be sure that they would have had the same effect on my political psyche. I did listen to male talk radio hosts for years without ever experiencing the same kind of excitement about politics. Of course most of them were insane blowhards, because that's who gets to host radio shows. But still, I've never cared as much as I do now.

So, Erin, Liz, Julie, Dana, Stefania, Jill, Joanne, Debbie, the Momocrats and BlogHers who have not sat idly by while other people decide what kind of world my daughter will inherit:

well...

you know.

12 comments:

mccutcheon said...

methinks your post doesn't read awkward at all.

Anonymous said...

That circumlocution gene is found on the Y chromosome, so don't feel too bad. Plus, gratitude is good.

Stefania/CityMama said...

I did it for the children. Mine, yours, all of ours! Thanks for the shout-out. Your post was not awkward at all because, well, we know what you were trying to say. And say it, you did.

Jill said...

Wow - that is so sweet! I love it - but I can't show it to my hubby - he might, you know. :) Just kidding.

It's a community - it's great to not be in a vacuum.

I was at a workshop yesterday and a somewhat shy woman I know specifically thanked me for doing a Cover It Live livechat - she loved the experience.

So you know - whatever it takes. :)

Thank you for thanking -that is really sweet.

motherbumper said...

Yup, I know.

for a different kind of girl said...

Every time there is a "Vote Here Today" sign plopped out on the sidewalk in front of the library, I'm there to vote. School board. City Council. Bond referendums. Presidents. However, it really wasn't until this year, faced with big change and at least one kid who sort of grasps what's goign on in the world today, that I paid more attention to how I made my choices. I feel pretty good about things.

It does seem to come down to those who are too young to vote.

Loralee Choate said...

Man...I think that this is the only election I haven't felt passionate about. (Well, I was passionate about prop 8, but I couldn't vote on it)

I DID vote because I have never missed an election, but I am glad so many other people found something inspiring about it all.

Jack said...

Thanks. Really. It's amazing what those kiddos do to us, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Your daughter is one lucky girl. I'm sure she likes you just fine and will for the rest of her life.

As for the rest of us girls, well, you're welcome.

Julie Pippert said...

Verklempt.

Fourth time is a charm, dude.

Thank YOU, for being inspired, for participating.

I was involved, originally, because that's what one was supposed to do in my uber-liberal and political university, and I'd always had a proclivity.

But after years of certain experiences---many not that great---I got involved to Do, Improve.

My drive escalated after kids, but they were one more reason, like you understand.

And thanks for getting it and joining in.

Your comments were some of my faves.

Jess said...

Okay, so I edit words for a living. And as much as you feared this would not make sense, I found it to be incredibly well written.

And I'm glad you can admit to being driven by the chronic "I want girls to like me" syndrome. Most men can't. ;)

Kady said...

Aw, shucks (*blushes furiously*).