This blog is old. You don't want to read an old blog, do you?

If you are not redirected to the fancy new blog in about 6 seconds visit
http://backpackingdad.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, November 3, 2008

Bard

"Sing a song for me," the boy demanded of Coyote.

"You will have to catch me first," replied Coyote.

And the boy chased Coyote around and around, through furrows and sorrows and marrows. And when he thought he could run no longer the boy saw Coyote look back over his shoulder, and saw Coyote's tail slow its recession. With one finger the boy touched Coyote, and Coyote sang a song for him.

"That's a good song," the boy said to Coyote.

"It is a song, like other songs," replied Coyote. "But with that one ringing your ears your mind is sifted. Now hear this song. It is a special song."

And the song chased the boy around and around, through furrows and sorrows and marrows. And when it sang that it was coming to an end it caught up the boy's mind. With one note the song touched the boy, and the boy spoke a word for it.

"That's a good word," Coyote said to the boy.

"It's a word, like other words," replied the boy.

"No," said Coyote, "it is a special word. It is a story word."

"What does a story word say that other words do not?" asked the boy of Coyote.

"There are three: the argument word, the poem word, and the story word. You have said the story word. The story word says what is."

"How have I said this story word when before I said only words like other words?" asked the boy of Coyote.

"The song," replied Coyote. "When your mind is prepared through sifting, when it hears this song it surrenders the story word."

"What is the name of this song?" asked the boy of Coyote.

"It is the World Song," replied Coyote. "But now that you know you must say the story word and be forgotten."

And the boy said his story word and was forgotten.

And Coyote laughed.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of something but my brain is cracked out from this time change & it's actually 11:25pm and I really should be sleeping. So I can't remember what it is that this reminds me of.

I did enjoy it though.

Thanks for sharing!
Ciao

Anonymous said...

So sometimes I forget that you're like, the Philosophy Guy, but then I read something like this and I go, "Oh, yeah, that's right. He's the Philosophy Guy. This post isn't obtuse and apocryphal--it's DEEP." And then I feel really smart.

Kyddryn said...

Lovely.

Shade and Sweetwater,
K (Whose verification word is "achingsoul. How do they know?)

Meg said...

Oh I liked that!

crazymumma said...

so we have to keep re learning?

gah.

coyote toys with us yet coyote is wise.

or fucked up.

Mandy said...

The trickster.

For the first time, I see so clearly your aboriginal heritage. But you know that.

Beautifully written.

Backpacking Dad said...

desiree-mother musings: I can't remember either! We'll think of it :}

babybloomr: Well, I'll take deep. But I was going for "incoherent".

kyddryn: I've been getting some awesome word verifications lately.

madwoman: It was a post, like any other.

crazymumma: Coyote is Coyote. Maybe wise. Mostly just tricky.

mandy: awww. Although I think someone might try to take my status card away if they knew I was making up Coyote stories.

Unknown said...

Hi, tried to send you a dm on Twitter but wouldn't let me. This sentence slowed me down:

"But with that one ringing your ears your mind is sifted."

It's just a little unclear (to me).

Anonymous said...

I am waiting for a story about the bear and the wolf.

Otherwise I may feel it is my duty to report this post to the treaty and have a mob of angry Canadian Mohawks knocking on your door.

Just 'cause I'm Canadian doesn't mean I have to play nice. Wink.

Beautiful post. I read it to my kids.

They blinked a few times and then wanted to know what you are smoking in your peace pipe.

Just so you know.

Vered said...

You do write beautifully.

So now I'm curious, since you didn't answer my first question on MomGrind today. Are you going to publish a book someday?

Laura said...

I'll have some of whatever you're smoking! ;) HOLY SHIT, that was weird!

I don't get it......it's a building that turns into a robot?!
:)~

slubs, I get SLUBS as a verification word! This blows! LOL

Backpacking Dad said...

silicon valley diva: it might read better with a comma between "ears" and "your", but I didn't want to put a comma there. The narrator didn't like the feel of a comma there.

redneck mommy: I don't smoke. Gave it up for world peace. Feeling gyped so far.

vered-momgrind: I can't imagine a future in which there is a book out there with my name on it, except for Stefanie Wilder-Taylor's "Naptime is the New Happy Hour" and that's only because I signed my name inside and sent it to someone. But, maybe eventually I'll have enough posts that I can just print them out and bind them and wave them at people while yelling "Look! Here! I have a book!" But to answer your first question, I think I'm trying to achieve skill and confidence.

laura: one in one thousand people would know what the hell you are talking about with the building/robot question. I am that person. I get to be on top. One in one million people, however, would have dropped that line as casually and coolly as you did.

My_Dog_Is_Better said...

First of all, can you put a disclaimer up next time you want me to take drugs ("Don't take drugs!") before reading your blog.

Second of all, I think it's more like 1 in 100 people would get the building robot thing. "Well, what's fun about that?"

Third of all, to Vered-MomGrind, he isn't ALLOWED to write a book.