This blog is old. You don't want to read an old blog, do you?

If you are not redirected to the fancy new blog in about 6 seconds visit
http://backpackingdad.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, June 7, 2008

The depths of her eyes

We sit at dinner, she across from I, she beside her, she demanding, her obliging, I laughing.

We sit, I staring, she laughing, her wondering.

We sit, I gazing, her adoring, she existing.

We sit, she glancing, her peeking, I falling.

We sit, I descending, she embracing, her indulging.

We sit, and I am lost forever in the depths of her eyes.

 

There are some times that I look at Erin and I have to wrench myself back to the world, so absorbed am I, trying to mold my consciousness into something resembling hers so that I can experience what she does. She is like a point of infinite mass, drawing everything to it with an irresistible force, and I am carried along.

She stands out against the background of the world; she glows in the dark; her colours, brighter, and her laughter, clarion.

Such is her intensity, dimming the backdrop behind her, that it dims even my memory of her past.

How can she not always have been just as she is?

I remember, but as I look at her I don't believe. I have known her, as she is, always. I am lost forever in the depths of her eyes.

13 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Very lovely.

Anonymous said...

How quickly they become the love of our lives!

Badass Geek said...

You sap.

MereCat said...

It is so amazing isnt' it? Beautiful post.

Swirl Girl said...

What a lovely poem to start my Sunday.

Beautiful and full of real meaning.

children are a wonder, no?

or were you writing about your wife?

Tiffany said...

Wow.

for a different kind of girl said...

This is absolutely what I think when I watch my boys, too. Sometimes I'm amazed hourly. She's very lucky to have you, too.

Anonymous said...

Get a hotel.

Backpacking Dad said...

jenn: sometimes it's easy.

zip n tizzy: you're not kidding.

badass geek: My wife and I both call me a "sappy bastard".

merecat: totally amazing

swirl girl: I was writing about my daughter, mostly, although my wife was "her".

mrs r: that's what I think every time.

FADKOG: hourly. Yes.

aea: stop drinking in the morning. ;}

Anonymous said...

So true. Mine can drive me batshit nuts, but amaze me, all in the same minute.
Beautiful!

My_Dog_Is_Better said...

That's nice. Erin will appreciate that poem so much when she's older. I wish Dad wrote a poem about me when I was a baby.

Backpacking Dad said...

danielle-lee: that they are.

my_dog_is_better: well, you were cute, but I don't know about poetry cute :} Especially not from someone in the Airborne. I'm a sappy bastard. I can't imagine him ever being like that.

Michelle W said...

I love this post. It's such a contrast to the view of parenthood that I blog about. It's nice to focus on the beauty of parenting our children sometimes. Note to self: must do one 'nice' mommy post this week. Thanks.