This blog is old. You don't want to read an old blog, do you?

If you are not redirected to the fancy new blog in about 6 seconds visit
http://backpackingdad.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day

My father is Irish-Canadian. As he gets older he gets even more Irish and even more Canadian, and I see the same tendencies in myself. In the summer of 2006 we went to Ireland together for a week, just me and him. It was a pretty special trip, and I want to go again in a few years.

While we were there he told me that he and his wife were expecting another baby (they had a 6 year old daughter already).

When I came back home my wife and I conceived Erin. (That's her story, anyway; the doctor said that the date of conception was actually in the middle of my trip to Ireland. Without her. Hmmm......)

And as a result of how special that trip to Ireland was to both my father and I, and because we both get more Irish as we get older, we both decided to name our new daughters after our ancient homeland: my little girl is Erin E., and his little girl is M. Erin.

In honor of these two little Irish dancers, I give you the following very special song. Ireland's classic anthem: Danny Boy



Thanks Boing Boing

7 comments:

motherbumper said...

What a beautiful story.

And AWWWWW - nothing beats muppets. I didn't hear that all day and you just made my St. Paddy's Day. I'm totally Irish Canadian and once the wee one gets to bed, I'm hitting the green beer.

Unknown said...

I can stake claim to being half Irish (and, alas, not Canadian, but Scottish), am closing in on 10 minutes left of this St. Patrick's Day, and I can't believe I've not yet heard Danny Boy today! This version is the absolute best way to ring out the day.

What a great trip to share with your dad, btw. I'd love to have that opportunity with my parents one day. Hopefully one day you'll get to trek around there with your gorgeous Erin!

Backpacking Dad said...

Can't blog...too full of corned beef and cabbage..."Danny Boy" on repeat along with "Fields of Athenry" and "Bhoys of the Old Brigade"....


...Muppets Forever.....

Anonymous said...

This is a terrific post - thank you for sharing your story - we've delayed celebrating St. Patrick's Day until tomorrow (Wed.) with my in-laws. Watched Celtic Thunder, last night, but they are NO match for the Swedish version of Danny Boy ;o)

Thanks for stopping by This Full House Kids!

Mandy said...

That was a great post, but I absolutely loved the YouTube. I haven't seen the muppets in years, and years, and years. Always had a thing for Beaker.

Anonymous said...

This is too funny! You commented on my blog yesterday so have been checking out yours (love it btw!) and it's interesting to find out that your family is Irish-Canadian too. My Dad's side of the family is Irish Canadian and get more and more Irish as they years go by! I tend to get more Irish as the years go by as well ;)

Keep Blogging...it's awesome to see a man's point of view on being an at home parent and how much he loves his little girl!

Stephanie

J from Ireland said...

Hi I am reading through from the begining but I just wanted to say, Yay to being Irish. What part of Ireland is your Dad from? What did you think of Ireland? Where did you visit? Are we all really mad drinkers? Would love to know what this country looks like to others. Off now to read more of your great blog. Slainte.