This blog is old. You don't want to read an old blog, do you?

If you are not redirected to the fancy new blog in about 6 seconds visit
http://backpackingdad.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Because you asked.

I'm going to help kill a couple of memes right here. I'm tired after a few busy days, and I can't organize my thoughts well enough to write those days up, so I'll let some friends do my organizing for me.

First, from Helen comes this "open the book" meme:

Open the nearest book: It happens to be the Larousse Gastronomique that my awesome, brilliant, good-looking, and possibly sauced friend gifted me with for Christmas 2006.

Go to page 123: It's the "beef" section of the book.

Go to the 5th sentence: "Left-over pieces of boiled beef can also be prepared in various other ways, including the following: boulettes, croquettes, kromeskies, en fritot (i.e. fried in deep fat), en miron."

Post the next three sentences (happily, as a result you get a full entry): "Boiled Beef a la diable: Cut boiled beef into rather thick slices. Spread these slices with mustard, sprinkle with melted butter or oil and cover on both sides with white breadcrumbs. Grill on a low heat, making both sides golden."

Bon appetit!

Now, from Ali comes a "six random things" meme:

1) I have a scar on the top of my head from an accident when I was six years old. I was riding my new chrome BMX on the highway (gasp!) that ran next to our house (a country highway, but still) and after goofing off for a while, weaving across the road or something, I was hit from behind by a van driven by a 16 year old kid who tried to get around me on the left while I, at the same time, tried to get out of his way by going left. He hit me dead on the back tire, launching me off the bike rather than running me over, and I landed on my head in the ditch. No broken bones. Just a scar on my head that bothers me when I get haircuts, and a scars on my knees from the handlebars I scraped while being launched into orbit.

2) I have seen every episode of "Sex and the City" multiple times. You know, because Emily likes the show. Not because I bought the DVDs en masse and then made her have a "Sex and the City" weekend with me as we watched the entire series. And we certainly did not do that twice in one year.

3) In 1996 I left the University of Toronto on academic probation after one year; not because of the academic probation, but because I had to see about a girl. I'm still seein' about her. And our daughter.

4) I have lived on two islands in the St. Lawrence river.

5) I love the movie "Starship Troopers". I'm doing my part. Would you like to know more?

6) You know how you know I'm gay? I have organized the t-shirts hanging in my closet in order of hue and lightness. Yes. They go from black to white, and each colour block is also arranged from darkest shirt to lightest shirt.

So, that's all I have to say about that. I won't tag anyone with these, but feel free to park them in the visitor's space on your blog if you are ever at a loss for a post, as I am right now.

11 comments:

for a different kind of girl said...

I'm such a girl! My clothes are arranged the same way in MY closet! I often open it and marvel at the beauty while my husband is in the room, hoping he'll do the same to his side. Clearly, I am hoping he'll go gay, too!

I wonder if I get him to go to "Sex and the City" with me on May 30th, the transformation would be complete? If he won't, can I go with you guys? You're going, right? You get a little tingly in the gut when you hear the theme song as the commercials for it come on, right? You cried at the final episodes (or at least claimed you had something in your eye as you faked yawned and wiped at your them, right?). Or is that just all too gay?

Nah...

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

We never had to buy the DVD of SATC--we saw every episode as it came out. Sunday nights are kids HAD to be in bed before 8 so we could start watching t.v. with tons of innappropriate everything. Those were the days . . . Sopranos and SATC.

Jon said...

Hmm.. I'm a straight man with my closet arranged the same way.

Christi said...

Yeah, I organize my closet like that too. Dave occasionally puts laundry away and has since learned to leave mine laying flat on the bed and I'll organize it later...

He's also learned to leave everything alone in the Tupperware cabinet, the towels in the bathroom closet, and my shoes.

Aunt Becky said...

You are SO gay.

DeeDee said...

Dude, you are my kinda gal!!

If I didn't love you before I so do now..but not in some creepy stalker type way...but just because we can so talk about Sex and the City together. All day long. Did I say all day, 'cause I meant it.

My husband and I were too broke (read: cheap) to subscribe to HBO when SATC was actually on so I hopped on the bandwagon a few years ago and lemme just tell you I've wasted many an hour watching and rewatching every single episode! I begged (read: whined) for every season for Christmas three years ago and luckily my family hates to hear it!!

Oh and the closet thing..they have a name for it and it's not gay, it's called OCD. I got me some of dat too! It kills my husband that I arrange my clothes like that.

Anonymous said...

You guys are FREAKS! Though I would love to have our closet organized that way, I'm too freakin lazy, and so is the wife. Maybe you guys could do it for us?!
And we do like SATC, what with all the "tips" and "techniques," what's not to like!

Ali said...

aw. you had to see about a girl.
love that.

Backpacking Dad said...

FADKOG: You can definitely go with us...if we manage to get out of the house without the kid. I may just let Emily go out with the girls while I stay home and watch Rambo or something with zombies.

Jenn: I really liked the Sopranos, too; I just Netflixed the entire series, never having seen an episdoe before, and I was really pleased. HBO does some good tv.

JonMcP: Yeah, me too :}

Christi: Emily once switched two books on my bookshelf (my books are organized alphabetically by author, by series, by publication date), and within 2 minutes of getting home and sitting on the couch I had already spotted the switch and, uh, asked her about it. :}

Aunt Becky: I also feel pretty.

DeeDee: Woohoo! Now my wife can stop asking me if I think that guy is hot. Because, how the hell would I know?

the husband: Yeah. Tips are awesome.

ali: I'm a sappy bastard.

My_Dog_Is_Better said...

And you had the nerve to make fun of ME when I went through my hand sanitizer phase. I think the Monk comments should have been directed at the mirror buddy.

Backpacking Dad said...

My_Dog_Is_Better: what's a "mirror buddy"?